Feature Freeze: Looking Forward to Eden
Today marks the first step in the long-awaited release cycle for Eden: soft-freeze. Other than what is already slated for entry, no new features may be added unless they’re deemed critical for release. After that comes a hard freeze, when all APIs are frozen and we prepare to release the first Beta.
As always, the schedule will be dictated by our ability to get things polished up for release. So file those bug reports, clone our repo and send a pull request for fixes or translations… every little bit helps.
So much has changed since Dharma, we’ll use this space over the coming weeks to discuss in more detail what you can expect in 11.0. For now, Here are a few things you’re sure to notice:
- A new “Files” view in the video library in order to remove the notion of Library Mode vs. Files Mode that confused so many new users.
- The default skin changed to a horizontal layout allowing for more useful information to be displayed on the home screen (vertical version is still available in Add-ons)
- Efficiency improvements to reduce high cpu/gpu usage
- Much improved touchscreen support to go along with the first major versioned XBMC release for the iOS (iPad, iPhone, AppleTv2)
- Ability to customize the home screen by adding your favorite Add-ons
- The usual smattering of visual improvements, playback improvements, new ways to stream and discover media.. the list goes on.
The last few days have been hectic as the developers have been working hard to get their last changes in, but we’ll be slowing things down now to begin cleaning up for release!